Monday, February 26, 2007

Time For A Change

Since this is my first entry, i decided to write a little piece on my toughs on Ubuntu, the free Linux based operating system that i am using. I've been an avid user of Windows for years, but eventually i became disillusioned with Microsoft's attitude towards software patents and increasing inaccessibility due to restrictions and copyright policies.

Why waste expensive money or breaking the law by using illegal copies of property software, when there's a plethora of equally good alternatives available for free? Computer technology should not be a privilege for people with money, but available to everyone who wishes to gain knowledge.

I abandoned Windows because i got tired of the entire concept behind it. I wanted to feel free. So what makes Ubuntu a better choice than XP? The way i see it, there's 3 basic reasons that i can claim without having very much insight knowledge:

1. It's completely free.
2. There's almost no viruses or harmful programs written for Linux.
3. You can do at least 90% of the stuff you do in Windows (with a margin for error).

(One of the biggest drawbacks with Linux (for some people) is the lack of games. Since practically all commercial computer games are designed for the Windows platform, the Linux range of games are mostly remakes & less advanced than it's opponent.)

I strongly suggest you to log on to www.ubuntu.com & download yourself a free copy of the latest Ubuntu Live/Installation CD and give it a try yourself. With it, you can run entire Ubuntu off the CD without installing anything.

The thought of changing from a well-known OS enviroment & old, worn habits may be scary, but i think that sooner or later, people are going to get tired of the “Microsoft Way” and start looking for alternatives that doesn't restrict their usage or force digital dictatorship down their throats. A change is inevitable and as sooner you realize you have choice, the more you going to gain from it.

1 comment:

Stefan Manning said...

Hi Peter,

Now I've found you blog at last. I must say that I agree to your opinions aobout Micrsoft. But for the moment I prefer to be a MS-slave. I don't have any time to try and experiment with other OS for the moment. Maybe when I'm retired :-)
And your blog reminds me that I have to starting up with mine. It's in a sleepmode for the moment...
Have a nice day

Dad